This is a copy of the statement signed at the start of each school year:
One of the supreme gifts of marriage is bringing forth new life. God entrusts children to parents who have a primary right and duty to educate their children in the practice of their faith. Parents carry out this responsibility by creating a home full of love, forgiveness, respect and fidelity. The family is the community from which one honors God and learns moral values.
In the sacrament of Baptism, parents accepted the responsibility of raising their child in the practice of the faith. It then became their duty to bring their child up to keep God’s commandments as Christ taught. No wonder, then, that the Church understands the home to be the domestic church. It is in the intimate environment of the family that parents become the first and best heralds of the faith by both their words and their example. This environment is strengthened and deepened by the parish Eucharistic Community that is the heart of spiritual life for Catholic families.
Catholic schools are in partnership with the family in proclaiming and witnessing to the life of Jesus Christ. Catholic Schools assist parents in fulfilling their obligation as the primary educators of their children. Therefore, Holy Trinity School asks that all parents commit to the following pledge:
Aware, then, of the dignity of this holy parental call, and with a reverent awe for that responsibility that is mine, I commit myself to be, in word and deed, the first and best teacher of my children in the faith. Practically, this means that I should:
- Regularly participate in the Sunday Eucharist (if not Catholic, regularly participate in worship and prayer) with my family
- Commit to include prayer in our daily home life and to speak more with my children about God
- Participate in and cooperate with school programs that enable me to take an active roll in the religious education of my children, including Sacramental preparation for Catholic children
- Support the moral and social teaching of the Catholic Church
- Teach my children by word and example to have a love and concern for the needs of others
- Meet my financial responsibilities in supporting the Catholic School, thus allowing the continuation of this institution for others